What is a Thule roof box?
A roof box is a cargo carrier attached to a vehicle’s roof. It is used to transport skis, snowboards, and other gear.The Thule roofbox is a lightweight, aerodynamic roof box that is ideal for transporting bulky items on your vehicle. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the Thule roofbox and take a look at some of its key features. Keep reading to learn more!
-The Thule roof box attaches to the roof of a vehicle using straps or clamps.
-It is made of durable materials such as plastic or aluminium.
-Thule roof boxes come in various sizes to accommodate different types of gear.
-Some models feature locking mechanisms to keep contents secure.
-A rooftop cargo carrier allows you to transport skis, snowboards, and other gear without taking up valuable space inside your vehicle.
-It protects your gear from the elements and keeps it organized while you travel.
-A Thule roof box can be used with any type of vehicle, including cars, SUVs, vans, and RVs.
What are the best Thule roof boxes for skiing and snowboarding in 2022?
When it comes to choosing a roof box for your car, there are several factors that you need to take into account in order to make sure you get the best rooftop cargo carrier. Here are some of the things you need to consider:
1. The size of the roof box: You need to ensure that the roof box you choose is big enough to fit all your gear inside the box. If you’re only going skiing or snowboarding for a weekend, then a smaller roof box should be fine. However, if you’re planning on taking long trips or carrying more gear, then you’ll need a larger option.
2. The type of car: The type of car you have will also play a role in what kind of rooftop storage you can get. If you have a smaller car, you’ll want to ensure that the roof box doesn’t take up too much space on your roof. On the other hand, if you have a larger SUV or truck, then you’ll have more room and can choose a bigger option.
3. The price: Roof boxes can range in price from around $100 to over $1000, so it’s important to set a budget before shopping around. Keep in mind that the most expensive option isn’t necessarily the best, so don’t be afraid to shop around and compare prices.
4. The warranty: Most roof boxes come with a warranty, but it’s important to check the details before purchasing. Some warranties only cover certain types of damage, while others may not cover any damage at all. Make sure you know what’s covered before making your final decision.
Top Thule roof cargo boxes of 2022: Quick Purchase
1. Thule Motion XT XL: This is a great option for those who need a lot of space, as it has a capacity of up to 16 cubic feet. It’s also easy to install and comes with a five-year warranty.
2. Thule Force XT XL: This roof box is one of the best rooftop cargo boxes slightly smaller than the Motion XT XL but it’s still a great choice for those who need a lot of space. It has a capacity of up to 15 cubic feet and comes with an easy-to-use mounting system.
3. Thule Sidekick: This is a great option for those who have smaller cars or need a more compact roof cargo box. It has a capacity of up to 8 cubic feet and can be easily installed on most roofs.
What are the features of a good Thule roof box?
Size: The size of the Thule box will determine how much gear you can fit inside. Make sure to choose a size that is appropriate for your needs.
Weight: The weight of the roof box will affect how easy it is to carry and install. Choose a lighter-weight option if possible.
Capacity: The capacity of the roof box will determine how much gear you can fit inside. Make sure to choose a size that is appropriate for your needs.
Waterproofing: The roof box should be made of waterproof material in order to keep your gear dry during transit.
Durability: The roof box should be made of durable material in order to withstand the elements and heavy use.
Easy to use: The roof box should be easy to install and remove from your vehicle.
Focusing on the major features mentioned above, you can find the best rooftop boxes for your needs.
How to choose the right Thule rooftop box for your car?
- Location: Roof boxes attach with a clamp that clamps over the cross bars on your roof. Your car’s roof should be strong enough to support the box’s weight without flexing.
- Lock: Most roof boxes have a built-in lock, but some also have a lock cylinder that can be locked to your crossbar.
- Weight capacity: Some roof boxes can be heavy, so we looked for models that could support more than 100 pounds.
- Waterproof: We found that most roof boxes aren’t completely waterproof, so look for models that claim to be completely weatherproof.
- Security: A lock that secures the box to your vehicle will help you sleep better, but make sure the lock won’t interfere with your roof rack.
- Ease of use: We preferred models with easy-to-open latches.
- Warranty: A lifetime warranty is great to have, but also check to see if any warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship.
- Size: Standard roof boxes measure 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep and fit most cars. They hold up to 150 pounds of gear.
- Price: Roof boxes can range in price from $100-$1000+. You will want to decide how much you are willing to spend on a roof box before beginning your search.
How to Install a Thule Roof Box?
Tools Needed: drill, screwdriver, hammer, measuring tape, level
1. Position the roof box on your vehicle’s roof. Make sure that the front of the box is positioned over the front edge of your vehicle’s roof.
2. Use the measuring tape to measure the distance between the front and rear crossbars on your vehicle’s roof rack. Make a note of this measurement.
3. Position the Thule Roof Box so that its front and rear crossbars are aligned with your vehicle’s front and rear crossbars.
4. Use the measuring tape to measure the distance between the Thule Roof Box’s front and rear crossbars. Compare this measurement to the measurement you made in Step 2. If these measurements are not identical, reposition the Thule Roof Box until they are identical.
5(a). If your vehicle has T-tracks: Insert T-track bolts (provided with your Thule Roof Box) into pre-drilled holes in each side of the box until they click into place (do not over tighten). Then use a drill to secure each bolt with a washer and nut(provided with your Thule Roof Box). Tighten each nut until it is snug against the washer, but do not overtighten.
5(b). If your vehicle does not have T-tracks: Use the drill to secure each of the four corner brackets (provided with your Thule Roof Box) to your vehicle’s roof rack using washers and nuts (provided with your Thule Roof Box). Tighten each nut until it is snug against the washer, but do not overtighten.
6. Open the lid of the Thule Roof Box and remove any crossbars or other items that may be inside.
7. Close the lid of the box and use a level to make sure that it is level from front to back and side to side. Make any necessary adjustments until the box is level.
8a) If your vehicle has T-tracks: Use a drill to secure each T-track bolt (provided with your Thule Roof Box) with a washer and nut (provided with your Thule Roof Box). Tighten each nut until it is snug against the washer, but do not overtighten.
8b) If your vehicle does not have T-tracks: Use a dier to secure each of the four corner brackets to your vehicle’s roof rack using washers and nuts (provided with your Thule Roof Box). Tighten each nut until it is snug against the washer, but do not overtighten.
9. Open the lid of the Thule Roof Box and load it with your gear. Make sure that all items are securely packed and will not shift during transit.
10. Close the lid of the box and use the provided key to lock it closed.
How to Use a Thule Roof Box?
1. Choose the right roof box: The first step is to choose the right roof box for your car. There are many different types and sizes of roof boxes, so make sure you pick one that’s the right size and shape for your car.
2. Mount the roof box: Once you have the right roof box, it’s time to mount it on your car. This can be a bit tricky, so make sure you follow the instructions carefully.
3. Load the roof box: Now it’s time to load up your roof box with all your gear. Be careful not to overload it, and make sure everything is securely fastened inside.
4. Drive safely with the roof box: The last step is to drive safely with your new roof box. Remember to keep an eye on your speed and braking, and be aware of any extra wind noise or drag from your new gear setup.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Thule Roof Box?
1. A Thule roof box will keep your ski equipment safe and dry while you’re driving to the slopes.
2. A Thule roof box is easy to load and unload, so you can get your skis and snowboard out quickly when you arrive at the mountain.
3. A Thule roof box gives you extra storage space for other gear, like boots, gloves, and hats.
4. A Thule roof box is aerodynamic, so it won’t add much drag to your vehicle and will help you save fuel.
5. A Thule roof box is made from high-quality materials, so it’s built to last and will protect your gear for years to come.
What Are the Drawbacks of Using a Thule Roof Box?
– You will have to take your skis/snowboard off the roof box every time you want to use them.
– They are expensive. The average cost of a Thule roof box is $500.
– They are bulky and can be difficult to store when not in use.
– They can be difficult to install and removing the box, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience with roof racks.
– Ski bags: Ski bags are a great alternative to roof boxes because they are much less expensive and easier to store when not in use. Ski bags also don’t require any installation, which makes them a great option for people who don’t want to deal with the hassle of installing a roof rack.
– Soft-sided carriers: Soft-sided carriers are another great alternative to roof boxes because they are less expensive and easier to store when not in use. They also tend to be easier to install than roof boxes, making them a great option for people who don’t want to deal with the hassle of installing a roof rack.
How to care for your Thule roof box?
Thule recommends that you clean your box regularly and check it regularly for rust and corrosion. They recommend spraying the already existing rust with baking soda and brushing away the rust with a stiff brush. To prevent rust, lube the hinge with WD-40 or similar spray lubricant.
Thule suggests washing a Thule roof box by hand with mild detergent, rinsing to remove dirt and detergent, and then drying it with a soft, clean towel or sponge. Never use solvents or abrasive cleaners of any kind. Never use steel wool on your Thule roof box. Apply silicone or wax only to the Thule logo. Never apply silicone or wax to the Thule logo.
Thule roof boxes are made of rugged plastic. To clean them, use a mild detergent and water. Rinse, and dry with a towel. If needed, you can wipe lightly with a soft cloth and then dry with a soft towel.
Never use pressurized air to blow water from the box. Thule roof boxes can be pressure washed if the box has been corrupted. Never use a pressure washer in the bathroom or kitchen, or the water pressure could damage the water pressure regulator that controls water to the bathroom and kitchen. Never use a pressure washer on aluminum Thule boxes.
When you drive with your Thule roof box on, the heat from the interior of the car may discolor the box. A combination of sun, air, and grease may also cause rusting. To clean the Thule roof box, start by spraying it with WD-40 or a specialized lubricant and wipe it off with a clean cloth. Then, spray the entire exterior of the box with a spot on the top, one side, and the bottom. Let sit for about 15 minutes and then wipe off.
The Best Thule Roof Boxes Reviews
1. Thule Motion XT roof box
- Low profile roof-mounted cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
The Thule Motion XT is one of the most popular roof boxes on the market, and for good reason. It’s easy to install and use, and is packed with features that make it a great choice for families or anyone who needs a little extra storage space.
– The box is made from durable materials and is designed to withstand the elements. It’s also easy to clean, thanks to the smooth, rounded edges.
– The Thule Motion XT is easy to install and use.
– It’s made from durable materials and is designed to withstand the elements.
– The box is easy to clean, thanks to the smooth, rounded edges.
– The Thule Motion XT comes with a variety of useful features, such as a built-in lock and key system, an integrated light system, and adjustable straps that make it easy to secure your belongings.
– Some users have reported that the Thule Motion XT can be difficult to open and close if it’s not properly secured.
2. Thule Pulse roof box
The Thule Pulse roof box is one of the most popular roof boxes on the market. It is made by Thule, a leading manufacturer of car racks and storage solutions. The Pulse roof box is designed to fit on the roof of your car and provide extra storage space for your belongings. It is made from durable materials and features a sleek design that will complement the look of your car.
-The Thule Pulse roof box is very spacious and can hold a lot of belongings.
-It is made from durable materials and has a sleek design.
-The Pulse roof box is easy to install and use.
-The Thule Pulse roof box is not cheap, but it is worth the price for its quality and features.
3. Thule Force roof box
- Convenient to open and close thanks to LockKnob which also prevents damage to Thule Comfort Key
- Easy to assemble thanks to the pre-installed PowerClick quick fix system. The integrated torque indicator emits a click when tightening is performed correctly, ensuring a quick and safe installation
- The DualSide opening provides easy access to all areas of the box, from any side of the vehicle
- Maximum load efficiency compatible with a wide range of vehicles
- Maximum access to the boot with minimal risk of contact with the box thanks to the advanced position on the roof of the vehicle
The Thule Force roof box is one of the most popular roof boxes on the market, and for good reason. It’s made from high-quality materials, is easy to install and use, and is very spacious.
– Made from high-quality materials
– Easy to install and use
– Very spacious
– Comes with a lifetime warranty
– Not the cheapest roof box on the market
4. Thule Ocean roof box
- It is both smart to look at and well made
- If you have a small car and want a roof box that takes up a minimum of space then the Thule Ocean 80 with a 320 litre loading capacity might be just the one for you
- Model number: 688006
-The Thule Ocean roof box is one of the most popular and affordable roof boxes on the market.
-It is made from high quality materials and is designed to withstand the elements.
-The box has a capacity of up to 15 cubic feet, making it ideal for storing large items.
-It comes with a two year warranty.
-The Thule Ocean roof box is very affordable.
-It is made from high quality materials and is designed to withstand the elements.
-The box has a capacity of up to 15 cubic feet, making it ideal for storing large items.
-Some users have reported that the box leaks in heavy rain.
Pricing: The Thule Ocean roof box retails for around $200 USD.
5. Thule sidekick rooftop cargo box
-The Thule Sidekick is a rooftop cargo box that is designed to be easy to use and install.
-It is made of durable materials and is able to hold up to 110 lbs.
-The Sidekick has a sleek design and is available in black or white.
-It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
-Easy to use and install
-Holds up to 110 lbs.
-Available in black or white
-Limited lifetime warranty
-Some users have reported that the box leaks in heavy rain
6. Thule Vector roof box
The Thule Vector is a sleek and stylish roof box that is perfect for carrying all your gear on your next road trip. It features a unique aerodynamic design that reduces drag and makes it more fuel efficient. The Vector also has a built-in LED light system that makes it easy to find your gear in the dark.
+ Aerodynamic design reduces drag and improves fuel efficiency
+ Built-in LED light system makes it easy to find your gear in the dark
+ Sleek and stylish design looks great on any vehicle
+ Comes with all the necessary hardware for installation
– Some users have reported issues with the lid opening/closing mechanism
– Can be difficult to install on some vehicles
Pricing: The Thule Vector roof box has an MSRP of $499.99
What is the largest Thule Roof box?
The largest Thule Roof box is the XXL. It has a length of 70.87 inches, a width of 38.19 inches, and a height of 15.75 inches.
Dimensions: The dimensions of the XXL are as follows: length – 70.87 inches, width – 38.19 inches, and height – 15.75 inches.
Weight: The weight of the XXL is 55 pounds empty and has a maximum load capacity of 165 pounds.
Capacity: The capacity of the XXL is 22 cubic feet which is large enough to hold up to 11 suitcases or 4-5 snowboards/skiis
Do Thule roof boxes fit any roof bars?
There are two types of roof bars; T-track and slot track. The main difference between the two is that T-track roof bars have a slot down the middle which is used to attach accessories, whereas slot track roof bars do not.
How to measure:
To find out which size Thule roof box you need, you will need to measure the length and width of your vehicle’s roof. To do this, simply open your car door and measure from the top of the door frame to the edge of the roof. Then, measure across the width of the car at its widest point. Once you have these measurements, refer to Thule’s sizing chart to find out which size roof box is right for your car.
Thule roof boxes are compatible with most types of roofs, including those with sunroofs and moonroofs.`
I have been in the market for a roofbox for a while, and after a lot of research, I’ve decided to go with the Thule roofbox. I couldn’t be happier with my decision – it is great quality and fits my Camry perfectly. I think you’ll be happy with this brand, too. Let me know in the comments below if you’ve had experience with Thule and what you think! Happy travels!